Gustaf transformed his Pig Farm into a Vegetable Farm
Gustaf Söderfeldt and his wife Caroline Wahlberg were “humane” pig farmers and also ran a meat shop in Sweden. After watching videos on Youtube, they became vegans in a move that would change their lives.
“If you care about animals, the answer isn’t ‘humane meat’. The right thing to do is to stop breeding animals for food.”
They realized that vegans really cared about animals, just like they did but only took it a step further and that although their customers wanted “humane” meat, there truly was no such thing and they could not in good conscience continue to farm animals. They transformed their pig farm into Vegangården and now enjoy the satisfaction of growing vegetables using veganic agriculture practices.
FARM & TRANSFORMATION FACTS
- Gustaf and Caroline established their original farm in 2007. The property was originally begun as a farm in the 1800s.
- The original farm contained 30 pigs and some vegetable farming. SInce transformation, they now grow 20-30 different types of vegetables and sell at local markets.
- Gustaf is a 4th generation farmer.
- They feel that the transformation was easy because growing vegetables is much easier than raising animals. Additionally the support of the vegan community was a big help during the their transformation.
- Gustaf now shares his experience and expertise when he lectures about veganic agriculture.